Get the word out. Teach all these things. And don’t let anyone put you down because you’re young. Teach believers with your life: by word, be demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity. Stay at your post reading Scripture, giving counsel, teaching. And that special gift of ministry you were given when the leaders of the church laid hands on you and prayed – keep that dusted off and in use. (1 Timothy 4:11-14 The Message translation)
You have heard of growing old. But have you heard of growing young? Wesley is on eof the churches participating in the “Growing Young Cohort”. In October our group learned best practices to help a church grow young from leaders during January and February. Copies of the book “Growing Young” are available to borrow. There are six stratgies to help young people discover and love Wesley.
- Unlock Key Chain Leadership – We will learn to share the keys to leadership. We will be intenional about entrusting and empowering young people in leadership roles.
- Empathize with Young People – We will empethasize with young people at Wesley. We will learn their names, invite them to join us for a cup of coffee, listen to them when they share their stories.
- Take Jesus; Messgae Seriosuly – When we pay attention to the life and words o0f Jesus young people are able to articulate a gospel that is less about beliefs and more about Jesus. as Methodists it is also important to articulate what is unique about our traditions, that acts of mercy and social action are a part of our faith.
- Fuel a Warm Community – Honest relationships, intergenerational relationships, authenticity and connection create a warm community that welcomes young people.
- Prioritize Young People and Families Everywhere – We will continue our outreach to our neighbrhood and community as we live into being a church that is more than just a Sunday gathering.
See you in church!